Saturday, August 22, 2009

Garlic Sweet Potato Fries

I'm in love with sweet potato fries and they're popping up all over the place. The first time I had them was at TGIFriday's and I've also had them at the Elephant Bar Restaurant. They were so crispy and flavorful I couldn't stop eating them. I've attempted to make "baked" sweet potato fries at home and sadly I usually end up with a sweet potato "massacre." They never came out crispy, instead they would turn into mush and stick to the baking pan or foil. So after spending hours google-ing on how to make the perfect, crispy sweet potato fries, I decided to give it another try,this time, actually deep frying them. At last...success!

The secret to making crispy sweet potato fries is to soak them first in water for 20-30 minutes then dredge with cornstarch and a dash of baking powder. I added garlic powder to give it some added flavor.
Heat oil in a frying pan or deep fryer to 350 degrees F. Make sure you don't over crowd the pan when frying. I fried them for about 8-10 minutes until they start turning golden brown. Lay them out on paper towel to absorb the excess oil then sprinkle with coarse sea salt. Hmmm...I'm in love all over again! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails