Makes 4-6 servings
1 lb. boneless/skinless chicken thighs (cut into small pieces)
1 can broken straw mushrooms
1 T. vegetable oil
1 T. minced garlic
2 T. oyster sauce
3 T. sweet soy sauce
pepper, to taste
1 pkg. egg noodles (thin or thick-style)
1 bunch choy sum (cut into 2" pieces)
Sliced green onions
1. Heat vegetable oil in a large pan. Once oil is hot, add garlic and chicken. Cook for 4-5 minutes until chicken loses its pink color.
2. Add mushrooms, oyster sauce, sweet soy sauce, and pepper. Mix well and simmer for a few minutes until chicken is cooked through.
3. Blanch choy sum by immersing them in boiling water for a few minutes. Remove from the hot water and place them in ice water. This process sets the nice green color and prevents them from getting overcooked.
4. Place egg noodles in boiling water for 3-4 minutes until soft. Strain the noodles and run cold water through them until cool so they won't clump up. Drain well.
5. Add a splash of sesame oil, fish sauce, and pepper to flavor the noodles.
6. Place noodles in a bowl. Add chicken and mushroom mixture and choy sum. Top with fried shallots and sliced green onions. Serve with chicken broth on the side.